Railroad Yard in Pitcairn - 1940s.
Railroad Yard in Pitcairn - 1950s
Pennylvania Railroad's Yard at Pitcairn. c. 1940.
the PRR's Pitcairn Station. c. 1940.
Union Railroad Tracks from Route 22.
Union RR - Hall Locomotive Repair Shops off Thompson Rd.
Union Railraod - Hall Locomotive Repair Shops
PRR Yards in Pitcairn showing locomotive roundhouse and brick kilns in foreground. 1952.
The familiar red and buff Pittsburgh Rail ways Streetcar is shown here on the route from Pitcairn to Turtle Creek. (1961). This "PCC Car" was built by the St. Louis Car Company, and the type was in wide use in the area from the mid 1940s to the 1960s.
Pitcairn RR yard with Roundtable (Van Ormer brickyard in foreground) c. 1950.
Pitcairn Yards - Intermodal Transfer - 1998.
Railroad Caboose in Pitcairn.
John McGinnis (1798-1847). In 1835 John McGinnis bought some 300 acres of land in the Turtle Creek Valley in what would later become Pitcairn. His family would become one of the most important pioneering families in the valley. In 1850 he sold a tract of land to the Pennsylvania Railroad beginning what would become a major railroad presence in the Borough of Pitcairn for over a hundred years.
Union Railroad's Steam Locomotive. 1940s.
Steam Locomotive (Baldwin type 0102) built for the Union Railroad in the 1940s.
Union Railroard train at the North Bessemer shops of the P&LE RR. c. 1950s.
Union Railroad train unloading scrap at US Steel's Duquesne works.
Union Railroad's diesel engine.
Removal of Railroad tracks for mine servicing near Route 22 and Center Road.
Union Railroad's Hall Shops and Roundhouse. c 2000.
Union Railroad's Hall Shops. 2005.
Robert Pitcairn (1836-1909). When it became apparent that the PRR’s Pittsburgh Yards at 28th Street were much too small to accommodate the large number of trains expected for expanded operations, Robert Pitcairn, Superintendent of the Railroad’s Pittsburgh Division, began to look for more open space to relocate the Pittsburgh yard. In 1874, he ordered the purchase of 215 acres of land in the Turtle Creek Valley. The new rail yards would grow into a sprawling works; the Yard, and the surrounding town, would come to bear his name.
Gavity Fill Gas Station on Old Route 22 with gasolene supplied from railroad cars on adjacent hill. c. 1930.
Shay Locomotive of the Cunningham Coal Co., servicing the mines of Patton Township is shown here removing tracks on Center Road.