R.J. Lee Company on Hochberg Rd. 2005.
Amantea House, 485 Hillside Ave. Guiseppe and Filomena Amantea came from Italy to settle in Patton Township where they bought a house and 23 acres in 1918. The family went on to build and run a number of local businesses. In time a portion of the land was sold to become the Rush Valley subdivision of homes, while another portion was donated by the Amantea family to the Municipality of Monroeville as a land conservancy named Mosside Slopes. Rose Amantea is shown here in front of the family's original 3-room house.
Krusey's Cement Block Co., on Wallace Drive, in 2008.
Bituminous Coal Research off Hochberg Road.
The Penn Mor Hotel and Restaurant. The Amantea family (bothers Joe, George, Albert, and Adam) built and ran the Penn Mor Hotel at the southern end of Mosside Blvd. The building was erected in 1947 as a hotel for workers who needed convenient rooms and meals. The restaurant expanded to serve a heavy volume of lunch-time customers from local businesses (Westinghouse Printing in Trafford, Westinghouse Electric, etc) with favorites being Hot Sausage on Bun and Pasta dishes. Eventually the brothers expanded the building to included banquet facility with large ballrooms (first and second floors) for dances, wedding receptions, and conferences. The business was sold in 1957.
PPG Industries, 440 College Park Drive. In 2012.
U.S. Steel Research Labs off Jamison Lane shortly after opening in 1956.