Railroad Yard in Pitcairn - 1940s.
Railroad Yard in Pitcairn - 1950s
Pennylvania Railroad's Yard at Pitcairn. c. 1940.
the PRR's Pitcairn Station. c. 1940.
Pittsburgh Railways Trolley on Brinton Ave. (photo courtesy of the National Railway Historical Society.) c. 1940.
Pitcairn School. c.1930.
Pitcairn Borough. 2006
Pitcairn street scene. Broadway Ave. 2006.
Broadway in 1909.
Early Trolley along Broadway c. 1900.
Pennsy RR Band concert at Pitcairn's ball field.
Broadway in Pitcairn. 1920.
Pitcairn funeral. 1919.
Pitcairn funeral. 1919.
PRR Yards in Pitcairn showing locomotive roundhouse and brick kilns in foreground. 1952.
Pitcairn's Welcoming sign (2007).
Pitcairn Banner (2007).
Christmas in Pitcairn in 2007.
The familiar red and buff Pittsburgh Rail ways Streetcar is shown here on the route from Pitcairn to Turtle Creek. (1961). This "PCC Car" was built by the St. Louis Car Company, and the type was in wide use in the area from the mid 1940s to the 1960s.
Pittsburgh Railways Trolley in downtown Pitcairn. (1961).
Pitcairn RR yard with Roundtable (Van Ormer brickyard in foreground) c. 1950.
Drawing of Pitcairn - 1910.
Pitcairn Yards - Intermodal Transfer - 1998.
Railroad Caboose in Pitcairn.
John McGinnis (1798-1847). In 1835 John McGinnis bought some 300 acres of land in the Turtle Creek Valley in what would later become Pitcairn. His family would become one of the most important pioneering families in the valley. In 1850 he sold a tract of land to the Pennsylvania Railroad beginning what would become a major railroad presence in the Borough of Pitcairn for over a hundred years.
The McGinnis Homestead located at 318 Wall Avenue, was built by John C. McGinnis in 1899.
Schiffler's Grocery Store at 534 Broadway in Pitcairn, in 1908.
Third Street in Pitcairn, 1908.
Pitcairn's Police in 1909-1910.
Pitcairn's Police in 1944.
Tilbrook Brothers General Store in Pitcairn, c. 1900.
Toohill House in Pitcairn, built in 1810.
Pitcairn's first Borough building, built in 1902.
Pitcairn Post Office, c. 1940.
Pearce's Furniture Store in Pitcairn, c. 1900.
John C. Toohill in Pitcairn, c. 1920.
Fire Wagon Pitcairn Hose Company No. I, 1906.
Pitcairn Band, 1894.
Pitcairn Band, 1900.
Pitcairn's light Plant to generate electricity for the community.
First High School class of Pitcairn Schools, 1898.
F. X. Toohill, Jr., of Pitcairn.
Pitcairn's Allegro Mandolin Sextet.
David Glew (standing left) is seen with fellow postal workers at the Pitcairn Post Office in this 1969 photo.
The George Matlick Brinton Homestead. Built in the 1830s, it later became a school in 1904.
John Stewart III (1796-1865).
Obelisk serving as grave marker for James B. "Big Jim" Linhart (1916-1899) in the Beulah Cemetery. The man was a well-known character in his time, whose tombstone was described in the words of an old history as: "the most pretentious in the otherwise prevailing simplicity of Beulah graveyard."
Rebecca Barr Wilkinson (1815-1899).
"Water battle" between two fire companies in Pitcairn.
Dallas Foster "Dock" Salyard riding in an automobile past Salyard's Hardware on Broadway.
Salyard's Plumbing and Heating on Broadway in the 1980s.
Edgar McGinnis in 1926.
Broadway in Pitcairn in the 1940s.
Hoel's Jewelry Store on Broadway at Wall Avenue in Pitcairn. c. 1910.
Airmail Envelope (c. 1930) depicting a unique mail transfer system for picking up mail by Pitcairn Post Office at Bohinski Field in Monroeville. The aerial pick-up system was devised by Dr. Lytle S. Adams of Irwin, Pa. Dr. Adams realized that the problem with airmail delivery to small towns like Irwin was the long delay occasioned by take-offs and landings. He invented a system like that used by trains that picked up mail on the run, wherein the mail bag suspended from two 40-foot poles so that a low-flying plane could snag the mail bag with a hanging hook. This system was so successful it was widely used in the tri-state area, and became a common practice at hundreds of small town airports.