Robert J. & Essie Glendenning McGinley with daughter Hazel
Veterans Celebrations at the Old Stone Church - c.1900.
John & Martha Johnston.
Children of Robert & Essy McGinley - 1920s.
Sewing Club - Cross Roads Church in the 1910s.
McMasters' Grove - Cross Roads Church Sunday school Picnic.
Miller/Solomon farm - Miller Family in the 1950s.
Harry Solomon with trotter and sulky in the 1950s on the Miller/Solomon Farm.
Miller/Solomon Farm. Mrs. Elizabeth ("Betty") Miller.
Mrs. Betty Miller on the Miller/Solomon Farm.
Miller/Solomon Farm - McGinley House. In front, Mary Solomon Linhart and Clara Louise. By side porch, Betty Miller.
The Miller Family in the 1950s
Florence Gertrude Solomon.
Miller/Solomon Farm. - 1957. Clara Louise with two children (Harry to the right). In background is summer kitchen.
Mrs. Betty Miller and Piper Cub.
Cross Roads Church Sunday School. c. 1910.
Ethel May McGinley (b. 1912).
Groundbreaking for the Miracle Mile , November 1953. (Don Casto & J. Skillen).
First air mail service at Johnston's field in 1938. (L to R: 2 - Johnston; 5 - H. Vogel, instructor; 6 - P. Ball, Gulf Aviation; 7 - Teresa James (later Major, USAF)).
Picnic at McMasters' Grove. c. 1910.
Lois Lyman in the McGinely House Herb Garden. c. 1980.
Joel Monroe. c. 1880.
Margaret Bing Monroe. c. 1880.
Ed and Cathy Johnston with their daughter and the family's Clydesdales in 1976 parade.
Floyd Johnston, his wife and grandson with a team of oxen in the 1976 bicentennial parade.
Sarah Sylves Thompson (1909-1995) with her Patton Twp. classroom.
James "Jimmy" Mirro c. 1970.
Robert and Martha Johnston. c. 1880.
Myrtle, Alice and Edna Holt with the family's 1915 Studebaker.
Veteran's Ceremonies at the Old Stone Church. c. 1910.
Family Picnic at McMasters' Grove. 1909.
A Monroeville Historical Society event held at McGinely House in 1982 (L. to R. Michelle, Lois Lyman, Marilyn Chandler, Lynn Chandler, Lois Alworth)
Cole family in 1945.
School Children at Bellwood School. 1933.
Women of Cross Roads Church. c. 1915.
Penn-Super Pharmacy on Route 22, with Joann Schwartzmiller at the Soda Fountain. c. 1950.
School children with Jean Young, teacher, at Mt. Pleasant School. Patton Township, 1908-1909.
Mary Sadler Johnston.
School Children at Clugston School.
School children at Clugston School.
George R. Johnston and his Piper Cub. c. 1940.
John and Sarah Graham. Wedding Photo. c. 1910.
Robert and Mary Thompson.
The Joel Duff Family. (Rebecca Monroe Duff, Olivia Evelyn Treher, Lavinia Weller, Anna Duff, unk., Joel Duff).
Henry Duff and Rebecca Monroe Duff.
First Monroeville Borough Council. January 10, 1952.
Family outing on Tilbrook Road. c. 1920.
The Householder Family on Tilbrook Road near the Grimm Farm in the late 1920s.
George M. Johnston , wife Anne, and sister Mary Agnes, with Bertha and Mary. 1895.
Harry Solomon and "Mo." c. 1950.
Harry Solomon and pony. c. 1950.
Samuel King Beatty (c. 1850).
Beatty Family (Ann, Robert, Stewart, & William). c. 1909.
Maxwell Family (Helen,Jack, Dick & Joan) with "Buckskin" in 1946.
Mrs and Mrs Richard Maxwell Sr. in 1986.
Richard Maxwell, Jr. and "Daisy." in 1947.
Richard Maxwell, Sr. on "Bob" and Stan Morse on "Teddy," in 1947.
Ricahrd Maxwell on "Big Red". c. 1950.
Paul Aiken. 1986.
Mary Pianting Winkler. 1932.
Teresa and James Mirro with James Jr., in 1950.
Red Hohman, Anthony Winkler, Jean Winkler Colbaugh, and Blondie". c. 1945.
Jean Winkler Colbaugh and "Taxi." c.1944.
Jean Winkler Colbaugh and "Lovely Lady." c. 1944.
Alphina and Anton Winkler. c. 1900.
Pianting Family (Elizabeth, Frances, Lilly, Peggy, "Dog", and Charles). c. 1912.
Joseph Taylor (in coveralls) owner of Taylor's Auction Barn. c. 1950.
Auction Barn (Thomas Berry, Auctioneer with John Palak). c. 1950.
Joe Taylor family. c. 1900.
"Charo" on stage at the Holiday House. 1983.
Monroeville's Time capsule in 1976 with Eugen Bloch, Project Supervisor, Hamill Mfg. Co.
Johnston family hauling Time Capsule in parade in 1976.
Sarah Sylves (Thompson) with her mother in the early 1900s.
George M. Johnston, with wife,Ann; sister, Mary Agnes, and daughters Bertha and May in 1895.
George L. Johnston. 1920.
Claire Nissen, Organist at the San Juan Motel. 1948.
Rebecca Gillis Sooy, Great- Great- Great-Granddaughter of Joel Monroe showing deed to the Monroe property.
Kuehn brothers (Fred, Carl, and Bud) on horse.
School at Saunders Station and Haymaker Rds. 1927.
Robert Pitcairn (1836-1909). When it became apparent that the PRR’s Pittsburgh Yards at 28th Street were much too small to accommodate the large number of trains expected for expanded operations, Robert Pitcairn, Superintendent of the Railroad’s Pittsburgh Division, began to look for more open space to relocate the Pittsburgh yard. In 1874, he ordered the purchase of 215 acres of land in the Turtle Creek Valley. The new rail yards would grow into a sprawling works; the Yard, and the surrounding town, would come to bear his name.
Rebecca Monroe Duff.
Lt. Aaron Treher.
Margaret Duff Treher.
James Larimar Carlisle.
Nannie Earle Gillis.
Duff Family, Labor Day, 1915.
Samuel Gillis, with Paul, Wilimar and Genevieve in 1926.
Minnie Wissman Treher.
James and Rebecca Carlisle at their wedding at Hill Crest farm.
Olivia and Evelyn Treher at Hill Crest Farm.
Olivi Mary, Evelyn Charlotte, and Beatrice Jane Treher in Turtle Creek in 1918.
Evelyn Treher, unk., Olivia Treher at Duff Farm.
Rebecca Carlisle with Nellie Bishop Gillis and Evelyn Treher Gillis.
Evelyn and jane Treher at Hill Crest Farm. 1918.
Samuel L. and Nannie Earle Gillis.
Teresa Mirro - "Woman of the Year, 1982."
Catherine McClintock Young (1831-1913).
Clarence Aber (1887-1930).
Union High School in 1913. (2nd row, 2nd from left - Leonora Beatty Warner).
Max and Elizabeth Miller (top left) with family and friends. 1932.
Family outing at Burke Glen. 1937.
Robert Thompson (1873-1944) with grandson Darryl in the 1940s.
Mary Thompson in her "Victory Garden." c. 1940.
Leroy and Helen Rush Thompson at their wedding. c. 1940.
Robert and Mary Thompson with their grandchildren. c. 1940.
Darryl Thompson with "Old Shep." c. 1940s.
William and Mary Haymaker c. 1865. (Courtesy Library and Archives Division, Historical Society of Western PA.).
James McClintock at Decoration Day, Hannahstown, May 30, 1926.
Harold and Emma Clugston. 1955.
Harold "Chick" Clugston with his car on the family farm. c. 1930.
Hugh Maxwell (1800-1860).
John Graham (1775-1830).
Robert Maxwell (1840-1928).
C. M. Graham (1808-1890).
David Maxwell (1822- ).
Hugh Maxwell (1842- ).
James Maxwell (1836-1862).
John Maxwell (1832-1867).
Mary Martha Maxwell (1846-1918).
Mary Martha Maxwell (1846-1918).
Robert Maxwell (1840-1928).
Blanche Jordan Jae.
The Jae family. Children of Elizabeth Jordan Jae.
Leonora Beatty Warner.
Roy Chester Elliott (1896-1980) with his Ford Model T.
Roy Chester Elliott (1896-1980) and Abbie Elliott (1903-1996).
Patton Twp. Road crew with Andrew J. Elliott, Supervisor, on far left.
Roy Jackson Elliott (b. 1927) and Alice Smith Elliott (b.1930). 2007.
Joesph and Mary Mann McClintock.
Elsie Strochein Johnston with George Robert and Edythe Johnston.
George Robert Johnston IV during WWII.
Daniel and Catherine Jenker McMunn -- descendents of Martha Miers.
James King Snodgrass and Annie McGinley Snodgrass in 1934.
George Johnston in 1979.
Thomas H. Brunner.
Harry Solomon with trotter and sulky on the farm's racetrack.
George C. Johnston and family, c. 1900.
George C. Johnston and family, c. 1899.
George C. and Mary Johnston in the mid 1930s.
John and Pricilla Monroe Weller (daughter of Joel Monroe) with their children in 1907.
Samuel Gillis and Michael Powers with their wives.
Colonel Elmer Ellsworth Thompson (1862-1937).
John Alexander (1849-1889) and Susanna Hoy Thompson (1851-1917).
James Albert and Catherine Alberta Zimmerman (c.1914) with children on the family farm on Old Texas Road.
Auction Barn -- Behind the auctioneer's stand (Linda Schafer, Dan Schafer, & Rudolph "Weedy" Prvts. (1955).
John Lucas Schafer in front of thye family home at 2003 Haymaker Road.
Lucas Schafer, "Weedy " Prvts, and John L. Schafer.
Schafer Family (Lena Schafer Johnston, John Schafer, George Schafer, and Grandma Schafer).
Joseph L. Kiren building the Kiren House on McKinney Road.
Theresa Kiren in front of the Kiren House.
Joe Burton. Monroeville Councilman and MHS member, c. 1980.
Sarah Sylves Thompson with Former Councilman James Mirro.
Glen Cole at the Atlantic gas station on Old Route 22.
Mary Cole at Cole's Restaurant (1947). In the background are tailings from the strip mine where the Miracle Mile is now (2008) located.
Group portrait of the inhabitants of Mellon Plan/ Boyd's Hill in 1918.
Horace W. "Hook" Warner (1897-1985). "Mr. Monroeville" -- a leader in community development and founder of the Monroeville Chamber of Commerce (seen here in a 1953 photo).
Tailings from strip mine at Old William Penn and Center Road. Catherine Wray, long time resident of Monroeville, is pictured. (c.1930s).
Piles of strip mine tailings created a "swimming hole" for local children in the 1930s and 40s. Pictured are Catherine Wray and her cousin, Jimmy Wray.
Alice Jane (Berger)Hall on her wedding day in 1914.
Frank Urick (1881-1946) with horse "Babe" on the Urick farm c. 1937
Joe Urick Jr, the son of Joe and Rose Urick, grandson of Frank and Dora. c. 1940. In the background is the turkey shed that the family moved into when their farmhouse burned down. All the turkeys were moved to one end, when the family took over the other end for themselves. they lived there for maybe a year. They had been in the process of building a new chicken house. When the house burned down, they finished that building as a house for themselves. Needless to say, it had extremely low ceilings. But that became the new farmhouse.
Clarence Hall with his US Mail Truck in 1948.
The Penn Mor Hotel and Restaurant. The Amantea family built and ran the Penn Mor Hotel on Mosside Boulevard in the 1940s and 50s. This 1955 photo shows Adam and Joe Amantea tending the restaurant's bar.
Amantea House, 485 Hillside Ave. Guiseppe and Filomena Amantea came from Italy to settle in Patton Township where they bought a house and 23 acres in 1918. The family went on to build and run a number of local businesses. In time a portion of the land was sold to become the Rush Valley subdivision of homes, while another portion was donated by the Amantea family to the Municipality of Monroeville as a land conservancy named Mosside Slopes. Rose Amantea is shown here in front of the family's original 3-room house.
Charles Raymond Warner, Sr., heavy equipment operator for Warner Excavators, is seen in the front of Warner's auto garage on Northern Pike (c. 1925).
Monroeville Police Dept. at the Ground Breaking ceremony for the new Municipal Building, Aug. 3, 1957. Full-Time Officers (L. to R. , front row):George Gregowich, Andy Rusbarsky, Edward Irwin, John Secko, Charles Gardener, Sylvester Lisic, Koerth Schwartmiller, John Garofolo. Part-Time Officers (L. to R. second row): Charles Castagnero, Gordon Elwood, Verner Smeltz, Charles Howell, William Lewis, Harold Batchen, Harry Myers, John Duncan, Norman Fiorito, Michael Rosipal, Alfred Pitassi, James Thomas, Carmen Marciano, Anthony Blazovich.
Monroeville's Maintenance Department on May 25, 1976.Top Row: L. to R.: John Anderson, Herb Spat, John Fisher, Gene Meticvitch, Nick Zdjelar, Chad Honey, Tom McKay, Rib Felton, Fred Otto, Ralph Pivorttio, Den Spritz, James Madejerick, John Mazak, Ron Korner. Bottom Row: L. to R. Bob Jahn, J.P.Taylor, Mark Ruffing, Hank Masters, Bill Speelman, Zig Matuski, Ed Solusky, Walt Sobol, Dan Skiles.
Edward L. Dardanell, for many years publisher and CEO of Dardanell newspapers including Monroeville's Times- Express.at his office in Monroeville.
James E. Speelman at a horse show on the Speelman farm (near today's Hill Crest Church) in the 1950s. James Speelman later went on to found the Diamond Cab Company in the east suburbs.
Peg Heasley (Rider and trainer) with Jean Colbaugh (mounted on "Lucky Lady")at a horse show in Monroeville at the Speelman farm in the 1950s.
Crowds gathered for the regular Horseshows held at the Speelman Farm in at the "upper ring" near Speelman St. and Miller Ave. in the 1950s.
Billy Speelman and "Parson" at the Speelman house.
Jack Speelman driving the pony wagon with his brothers Tom and Bill, his uncle Will, and his mother.
Billy Speelman on Parson (The Pittsburgh Press Sunday Roto Aug, 25, 1945).
The University Park Garden Club members prepare for the April Garden Market to held at Kubrick's Nursery on Rt 22, in 1961. L to R: Bob Kubrick, Kay Oswalt, Aenese Straufenberg, Geraldine Giola, Elinor Chadwick, and Alice Witkovich.
Wedding picture George Bachman and Stella Cain Bachman - Oct. 1908.
George Bachman (1873-1934) was a butcher by trade who had a small store at the corner of Maine Street and Monroeville Road (near Turtle Creek) in the early 1900s. The family-owned store was in business for many years, finally closing in 1948.
Stella Cain Bachman c. 1920.
Dora Urick, collecting eggs from her chicken house on the Urick farm. Dora is collecting the eggs in her apron, which is the way she always collected them, never in a basket. This picture was taken in the early 30s. The chicken house was located on the lower part of Urick Lane across from Urick Court.
Harvest Home picnic held at McMaster's Grove, August, 1916.
Chester Beatty in the cab of Beatty Farm delivery van in 1952.
Tom Beatty on the Beatty Farm on Logan's ferry Road in 1940.
Thomas McMasters McElroy and his wife Emily Mattox McElroy.
Charles Vercelli on the Vercelli Farm - Summer 1935.
Charles Vercelli on the Vercelli Farm - C. 1930s.
Louisa Vercelli on the Vercelli Farm - September 1936.
Wedding in the Old Stone Church.
Wedding at Old Stone Church.
Frank and Dora Urick on the Urick Farm.