|Written by Administrator|
|Friday, 11 May 2007|
Little-Known Facts (from the Monroeville Historical Society)
Did you know that …
At one time Monroeville had three active airports in simultaneous operation?
Monroeville was named for its first postmaster, a farmer named Joel Monroe?
In the 1960s, Monroeville had its own radio station –WPSL?
The Farmer’s Auction Barn, located near Routes 22 and 48, where livestock could be bought in sold, brought in some million dollars in business in the 1950s?
During the Civil War a proving grounds was established in southern Monroeville for testing cannons forged in Pittsburgh’s foundries?
Interiors for the sequel to the cult horror film “The Night of the Living Dead” were shot at the Monroeville Mall?
Monroeville had its own trolley service when streetcar tracks were laid along a strip of land bordering Pitcairn?
In the 1950s and 60s, Monroeville was home to three drive-in theaters: The Pittsburgh Outdoor Theater; the Monroeville Drive-in, and the Miracle Mile Drive-in?
One of the many coal mines in the area could be entered through a locked wooden door built into a hill along Northern Pike?
In the 1950s, Monroeville was home to several riding stables where horses were bred and stabled, and riding lessons given?
Monroeville Mall was constructed on land re-claimed from a strip mine?
Monroeville was the first stagecoach stop out of Pittsburgh for passengers traveling east along the Northern Turnpike?
Seven veterans of the Revolutionary War are buried in the Cross Roads Cemetery?
Monroeville had its own amusement park, Burke Glen, complete with rides, a roller coaster, swimming pool, picnic groves, and a miniature golf course?
In 1849 the local area became Patton Township, named after a Pittsburgh Judge?
When the Miracle Mile shopping center was built in Monroeville in 1954, it was billed as the biggest of its kind between New York and Chicago?
Westinghouse built housing for its workers at its nearby Wilmerding plant on Monroeville’s Boyd’s Hill, and many of those houses are still in use today?
Both the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Union Railroad provided passenger service through the area in the late 19th and early 20th centuries?
In 1951 Patton Township became Monroeville Borough, and only later, in 1976, a Municipality?